Thursday, October 1, 2009

Fall is for buying - then, planting!

What treasures! For just a few dollars, I found raspberry plants to extend my sister’s patch, a boysenberry, several new plants to tuck into my stone wall, and a golden barberry.

I love buying plants anyway, but these were plants shared from Master Gardeners’ own gardens. Plants they didn’t need any more or that didn’t work out in their garden, divisions from established plants, or volunteer seedlings. I felt like I was getting a little piece of each garden.

I was thrilled to get the barberry. It was a little bedraggled (maybe it hadn’t liked its former spot) and I have no idea how tall or wide it will get. But what a color!

Now, an expensive and rare plant from one of our great local nurseries is just fine. But, the barberry and the others I brought home will have a little more history to them.

I admit I’m having second thoughts on the boysenberry. Maybe it should be planted on the fence line and fight it out with the blackberries.

Thanks to all my Multnomah County Master Gardener compatriots for sharing their gardens with me.

And I’ll see you at next year’s plant sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment