Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A little more from Saturday

I mentioned my papyrus. It’s a plant I never would have bought myself (too big and showy), but the grower sent me a sample and I gave it a try. Papyrus usually grows by water, in a bog environment – which I don’t have. So I taped over all the holes in the pot, but one. This kept the water from draining out of the pot too quickly – keeping the soil on the wet side. It was quite a treat!

They’re hard to photograph, so see another one here.

Saturday caller, Harlan wondered why his chokecherries might be disappearing, just before he could harvest them. It turns out that Harlan isn’t the only one who enjoys this fruit. Chokecherries provide food for deer, chipmunks, raccoons, mice, squirrels, and over 70 bird species, including woodpeckers, thrushes, and cedar waxwings.

Fast-growing? Are you sure?

Sometimes you want to hide that neighbor or hide from that neighbor. So, you want something fast growing – Arborvitae? Leyland cypress? Bamboo? Consider:
--- Arborvitae need very well-drained soil to succeed. Do your preparation well.
--- Leyland cypress does grow fast – to 100 feet tall. That’s a lot of pruning in your future!
--- Bamboo screens quickly, but it may not stay where you want it. Strong barriers are needed.

You may have to live with your decision for many years. Consider buying larger plants or filling in with trellises and vines as plants mature. To get the look and feel you want, some patience may be in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment