Monday, June 21, 2010

Maybe it's not just the weather!

I planted basil seed early this spring, but in a pot, and in my greenhouse. After much time, a few came up, got to about a half-inch tall, and that was it. More than a month later they all got thrown out - still about a half-inch tall.

Many folks were saying the same thing - my basil just died or my basil did nothing. And considering the unusual spring weather (rain, rain, and more rain), it didn't seem all that odd - basil loves hot, dry weather.

I still think that the wet spring is the answer, but this Washington Post article made me think. What if it's not just the weather?

How many times do we miss a correct diagnosis because - Oh, I know what that is!

This PNW wet spring is certainly responsible for many garden problems this season (herds of slugs, slow-growing tomatoes, rotting seeds, etc.) But, in between the showers, let's pay attention to the details and make sure we know what's really going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment