Thursday, June 16, 2011

Starting a summer container

Occasionally the growers of new plants send out samples to various garden folks. We can try them out and be able to comment on them, if a reader or listener asks.

Well, earlier this spring the Proven Winners folks did just that. They also sent along their book of “how to build a pretty container.” As someone who has very little eye for good color combinations (just ask my sister), I appreciate this. Their website also has dozens of container ideas – in case you have my sense of design.

So the variety they sent is Cherry Star, one of the Superbells®. That is, it’s a revved up version of the Million Bells®, which became so popular a while back – also called calibrachoa – sort of a smaller and less fussy/messy petunia.

Well, I saw it along side of a sweet potato vine in the photo and thought, “I can do that.” It is only a couple of weeks old and already looks like I know what I’m doing.

My lesson is – don’t turn down help and don’t give up on having nice-looking container combinations.

PS: the Cherry Star Superbells won’t be available until 2012, but there are many other current colors from White to Tequila Sunrise to Blackberry Punch.

No comments:

Post a Comment